Desktop NC Mills

From: Jw2459@aol.com
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 15:52:16 EEST

>I am sure alot of the RP people out there may also be using some desktop
>NC equipment, especially at the university locations. Any leads that
>anyone can give to me on some 3 axis NC equipment capable of cutting at
>least aluminum would be greatly appreciated.
>Tim
>
>--
>Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
>INTERNET: tjgorn01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
>SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
>40292
>PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890

We have a desktop machine, the MICROMASTER, with addressable bed volume 12"
in X, 6" in Y and 6" in Z
that is suitable for cutting aluminium - we use the machine to build
components for itself??

The main area of concern for any desktop machine is the metal removal rate.
Desktop machines do not have the metal removal rate of larger machines for
obvious reasons ie rigidity, vibration absorption etc. Our machine is a cast
iron structure, has a pc based controller and can take spindles of upto
120,000 rpm. The block processing speed is phenominal, a job just machined
took 70+ hours on a new Fanuc Robomill, on the MicroMaster it took just 12
hours. The MICROMASTER has a 'T' slotted cast bed and is controlled by DC
Servos on precision ground ballscrews.

The MICROMASTER is a fully functioned multi-function machine. The control
system is based on the control system built into our digitising and scanning
systems. The functions provided by the MICROMASTER can be summarised :

Digitising/Scanning - upto 20 points per second (touch probe
                               500 points per second (scanning probe -
contact or capacitance)
                               1000 points per second (laser probe)

maximum axis traverse speed 8m/min

Linear accuracy 0.05/300um
Digitising accuracy 25um standard
Axis reolution : rotary encoders 1um, Linear scales 0.5um
Vertical milling via a range of spindles up to 120,000 rpm

Tool change available for the KAVO HF spindle ( 50,000 rpm max, 6mm ( 1/4")
collet max.)

Electrical discharge machining head ( 15 Amp)

4th Axis option: rotary around X ( A axis ) , or rotary around Z ( C Axis)

Tool Setting Probe

Flood Coolant

The machine can be driven by mouse or by direct programming or via CADCAM
systems using post processors. Comms can be via Ethernet ............

John Wright

Response Associates
England