Re: Part orientation

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 09:28:59 EEST

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Guy Allen Brady wrote:
> Hate to be trivial, but you should be aware the material properties will
> not change with build orientation, only mechanical properties (there is a
> difference).

     Okay, Guy, help me out here. I have been giving some thought lately
to the influence of structure (micro- and milliscale) on properties of
materials, and I am not convinced that there is a way to distinguish
material properties from the properties (mainly mechanical) that arise in
a given configuration. Am I wrong about that? What about a glass wisker
vs. bulk glass? Does glass have an defineable intrinsic tensile strength
that is independent of whether you happen to make it into a window pane
or a wisker? (If the answer to that is yes, then your explanation should
become an corrigendum to my book, where I discuss this briefly but didn't
know about any such intrinsic properties.)

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **