Re: Part orientation

From: Guy Allen Brady (galbrady@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 14:17:49 EEST

On Thu, 15 May 1997, SADEGH RAHMATI wrote:

> Has anybody tested the SLA specimens looking at different
> orientations. I am doing shear, tensile and impact test, and I was
> wondering if building specimens in different orientation could have
> any effect on material properties or not.

Hate to be trivial, but you should be aware the material properties will
not change with build orientation, only mechanical properties (there is a
difference). If you take the fracture mechanics approach, rather than
strength-based approach, your results will be most meaningful (Remember
the Titanic!)

Good Luck,
Allen
          G. Allen Brady -- Graduate Research Assistant
Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan
2219 H.H. Dow Bldg. 2300 Hayward Street Ann Arbor, MI 48105
work: 313/936-0177 fax: 313/747-4807 email: galbrady@umich.edu
           http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~galbrady