From the administrator: mailing list problems

From: Rapid Dude (rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 11:07:21 EEST

Hello to you all

> Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 06:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com)" <mburns@netcom.com>
> To: Yakov Horenstein <yakov@planet.it>
> Cc: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>
> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Yakov Horenstein wrote:
> > With apologies for sending this to everyone, I am regularly getting
two
> > copies of every message sent to rp-ml. This is a recurrence of last
years'
> > problem. Any way of stopping it?

I haven't noticed too many dublicated mails lately. Those few messages
I've noticed are sent the way that we all get them 'dublicated'. Just to
remind us all, the list has two valid addresses:

rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi and rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi

Both addresses are the same, so please do not send mails to both addresses
at the same time - that will dublicate the messages for sure. And it is a
good manner to check the addresses for dublicates when sending the same
mail to several groups.

If how ever these dublicated (really dublicated by our system) messages
keep coming, we'll try to find the reasons - again - and fix them if
possible.

> I do (rarely) have this problem. But a consistent problem here is
> that when I send a message to the list, I get 3 or 4 messages about
> certain addresses on the list being no good or their users being on
> vacation or whatever. It would be nice if these transmission error
> messages went somewhere else, because the person posting the message
> doesn't need them and can't do anything about them.

The unfortunate error messages you receive now and then are not supposed
to come to you at all but to yours truly instead (and I get a few hundred
of those every day). The reason for the occasional (hopefully only
occasional) error messages to come to the sender is usually caused by
uncompatible (or otherwise unstandard or oldish) mailer programs. We have
encountered some problems e.g. with CC mail (I'm not really an expert on
this, but I think that's what I've been told). As long as the problem is
'at the other end' there's not much we can do about it.

> In posting this complaint, let me add what a greast job the
> administrators are otherwise doing in administrating this list. What an
> incredible resource of focused topical international communication and
> collaboration!

Well thank you! We do our very best to keep us all happy.

Any additional comments, suggestions, good or bad news can be sent to
yours truly:

   rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi

or in case of general interest to rp-ml.

Thank you for your attention.

Yours truly

Hannu Kaikonen <rp-adm@ltk.hut.fi>
  'owner'