Re: Rapid Tooling

From: SADEGH RAHMATI (epxsr@epn1.maneng.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 14:47:56 EEST

From: Self <EPN1/EPXSR>
To: "Welsh_1" <ets@shell0.elnet.com>
Subject: Re: Rapid Tooling
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:38:34 GMT0BST

Hi Paul,

I am doing a research on SL Tooling in Injection Moulding. I use two
different resins to make tool, Epoxy5170 and Zeneca filled resin. In
the four tools which I have made I have injected more than 500 times
with epoxy tool without any failure what so ever, and 200 injections
with Zeneca tool before it failed. I have used PP plastic at the
moment.

I am now looking at the failure analysis of the tools which may
fail during the initial injection pressure. The common cause of
failure I have found to be Shear rather than Bending. If you need any
more detail, dont hesitate to let me know.

Regards

Sadegh

> From: "Welsh_1" <ets@shell0.elnet.com>
> To: "RP mail-list" <rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi>
> Subject: Rapid Tooling
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:41:36 -0500

> I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with Rapid
> Tooling and it's application to molding both thermoset and thermoplastic
> materials. The more complex the parts, the better. Either SLS Rapidtool,
> Keltool, or any other process.
>
> Thank you,
> Paul Evans
> Siemens-Furnas Controls

   Sadegh Rahmati

   Centre for Rapid Prototyping in Manufacturing
   Department of Manufacturing Engineering & Operations Management
   University of Nottingham, University Park
   Nottingham, United Kingdom, NG7 2RD

   Email: EPXSR@epn1.nott.ac.uk
   Tel; +44 115 9514033 ; Fax; +44 115 9514150