Re: AutoCAD (was Re: 3D in CAD)

From: C. Brock Rooney (brock@mich.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 21:11:14 EEST

At 08:39 AM 4/4/97 +0000, Andrew Halket wrote

>> Does AutoCAD export .stl files?
>>
>> How come almost nobody seems to talk about AutoCAD in rp-ml - is it that it
>> isn't widely used in the rp world? If so, how come?
>
>AutoCad is 2D mainly, and any 3D is not solid modelling?

AutoCAD is as fully 3D as any other CAD system. However, it seems most
users only use the 2D capabilities.

For RP use, you probably want the Mechanical Desktop Package
which includes:
1) AutoCAD
2) AutoSurf, nurbs based surface modeler
3) Designer, ACIS based solid modeler
4) The AutoSurf compatible IGES translator

We have found the Solid and Surface models output through this IGES
translator to be quite acceptable to our IGES to STL product for making
quality stl files.

C. Brock Rooney, Pres., Brock Rooney & Associates Inc. (Brockware)
       268 George St. Birmingham Michigan 48009 USA
(810) 645-0236 fax/bbs (810) 645-9020 email brock@mich.com