Users Group Blather

From: Ross Gates (ross@selecteng.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 1997 - 02:00:13 EET

I find it incredible that the debate on NASUG is going on at all.
Everyone must realize that a huge percentage of Aaroflex machines will
be sold to present 3D systems users looking for more advanced
technology. Most 500 users migrated from the smaller, slower SLA's and
they will be more likely the ones to migrate to the more powerful
Aaroflexes. If you look at the users list of RP equipment, most are
utilizing multiple technologies, because one technology does not meet
every RP need. So you will have people at your NASUG that are owners of
Aaroflex, Helisys, Stratisys, Sanders, etc.

So, instead of the myopic vision that that manufacturers' of this
equipment want us to perceive, we get an infusion and cross pollination
of ideas that synergizes the industry. There has been an explosion in
capabilities and technologies since other RP manufacturers introduced
their equipment. If it was still one manufacturer, I believe the
industry would be small and its effects minimal. Because of competition
we have better resin systems, better paper, better sintering materials,
much better software.

One of the letter writers stated that he didn't want to listen to people
who he did not buy his products from, but yet the User's group has
competing resin system and software presenting. If you don't want to
hear what the other guy has to say, how do you know what direction you
are going in?

As a member of the Helisys Users Group, I find that the other RP
technologies bring a wealth of enhancement to this process. Who
benefits? My customers, not the machine manufacturer. That's what
counts.