Re: [Fwd: Re: AAROFLEX letter]

From: Joseph DeGuglielmo (jfdegug@kodak.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 1997 - 05:08:11 EET

Bill Noack wrote:

> Subject: Re: AAROFLEX letter
> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:44:44 -0800
> From: Bill Noack <Bill.Noack@morristech.com>
> To: rp_send_mail <rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi>
> CC: "Stahlhut, Todd A." <stahlht@indy.navy.mil>,
> Greg Morris <gmorris@morristech.com>,
> Wendell Morris <wmorris@morristech.com>
>
> I disagree and really don't think AAROFLEX is "complaining" about
> anything. What they would really like to do, the way I see it, is to
> expand their involvement in the industry. What's so bad about that?
> There are obvious benefits to AAROFLEX if they were allowed to
> participate in the conference ranging from getting a larger audience for
> their equipment to learning more about part building. Conversely, there
> are some things that might also benefit SL users, RP in general, and 3D
> Systems. The whole idea of a users group, I think, is to share
> knowledge for the purpose of advancing the capabilities of each
> individual user and the technology in general. This has undoubtedly
> been accomplished with NASUG in the past. As a previous participant in
> NASUG, I believed that this was mostly paid for by users and that the
> monies collected for attendance at the conference was used to sponsor
> the event. I have also heard that 3D contributes money but don't know
> the extent of this.
>
> Regardless of the who's paying for what disussions, I think that NASUG
> and its users have more to gain with AAROFLEX participating and would
> not hesitate to welcome them.
>
> Bill
>
> Stahlhut, Todd A. wrote:
> >
> > Dear RP'rs
> >
> > I just received a letter from AAROFLEX complaining that
> > the North American Stereolithography Users Group (NASUG)
> > refers to itself as it does. The letter suggests that because
> > stereolithography is used by some to describe RP in general,
> > that the users group, focused on 3D Systems technology,
> > is doing something wrong in using the term. This users
> > group existed before any of these other processes existed
> > and has always referred to itself as stereolithography.
> >
> > Whats next - to suggest that COKE change its name because
> > many use it to refer to a soda, or Klennex because it is often
> > used to refer to a tissue.
> >
> > Give me a break!
> >
> > Regards, Todd Stahlhut
> >
> > P.S. Am I out of line here or does this seem strange ???

I also disagree! Those of us who attend the NASUG meetings do so because
we all own 3D Systems equipment. Not AAROFLEX, not CUBITOL, not whatever
else. Why in the world would we want to spend our time and money
listening about equipment we don't own.

There is a very simple solution and it has proven to work very well in
the past!
START YOUR OWN GROUP!!! Organize it the way you want. Invite who you
want. Try it, you'll like it!!

--

Regards,

Joe DeGuglielmo Eastman Kodak Company Rapid Prototyping Center 901 Elmgrove Rd. Rochester, NY 14653-5315 (716)-726-7046 jfdegug@kodak.com