Fwd: FCC Alert and feedback

From: Finney8311@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 09:43:51 EET

I thought this was important
Comments welcomed.
"Just LOM IT"
Jerry Finnegan
---------------------
Forwarded message:
From: billvick@sm1.gte.net (Bill Vick)
Sender: ipa-journal@list.serve.com
To: ipa-journal@list.serve.com (Multiple recipients of list)
Date: 97-02-10 20:49:04 EST

***THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ALL THOSE IN THE U.S. CONNECTING TO THE INET***

                         *****LISTEN UP!!!*****

Every regional fone company in the U.S. is asking the F.C.C. to allow
them to charge access fees to all internet service providers. ISP's
have been exempt from such charges since 1983, something that has
helped keep our monthly INET connection charges low. If the F.C.C. decides
to allow fone companies to begin charging isp's, such charges will
be based upon every minute that a customer is connected, and passed along
to each customer.

To give you an idea of how much additional you could end up paying
a month, here's one example:

Pacific Bell says that INET surfers use it's fone lines an average
of 45 minutes a day. If PacBell was allowed to charge only 1 cent
per minute, this would increase the average customers bill $13.50
a month, over and above what is paid now.

Let's suppose a customer is connected for an average of
3 hours a day. The monthly bill would then increase $54.00. That's
*over and above what your isp charges now*. If you pay $19.95 a
month now for unlimited time connected, your bill in the future
(at 3 hours a day) would then be $73.95 a month.

It is most unusual for the F.C.C. to set up an e-mail address
for the public to comment. If we don't take advantage of it, we
will end up paying for it in the pocketbook.

Please read the message below, and note that we have only until
February 13 to send comments to the F.C.C. NOW IS THE TIME FOR
US TO GENERATE A MAIL FLOOD TO COMPLAIN.

Both the President and Vice-President have touted their goal is
to have every home in the country connected by the year 2000. If
the fone companies are allowed to charge us by the minute, that
plan will be shot down in flames. It wouldn't be a bad idea either
tolet both Clinton and Gore know what you think.

                             ******************

 I am writing you this to inform you of a very important matter
 currently under review by the FCC. Your local telephone company has
 filed a proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your
 internet service. They contend that your usage has or will hinder the
 operation of the telephone network.

 It is my belief that internet usage will diminish if users were
 required to pay additional per minute charges. The FCC has created an
 email box for your comments, responses must be received by February
 13, 1997. Send your comments to:

        isp@fcc.gov

 and tell them what you think.

 Every phone company is in on this one, and they are trying to sneak
 it in just under the wire for litiagation. Let everyone you know here
 this one. Get the e-mail address to everyone you can think of.

Please forward this email to all your friends on the internet so all
our voices may be heard!

Bill Vick - http://www.ipa.com/bvick
972-612-8425
billvick@ipa.com