Re: Thinning STL files

From: Michael Tsenter (nest@primenet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 20:02:54 EET

MR ALBIN A HASTBACKA wrote:

> -- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --
>
> I recently received an STL file that was 176 Megabytes long (ASCII) and
> had 626,000 facets. The physical size of this part was a cube with 2 mm
> sides (with lots of detailed internal structure).
>
> My question is "Has anybody on the list used or created a utility
> program that allows inputting of an STL file and outputting of a thinned
> (reduced number of facets, but still retaining most of the details) STL
> file?
>
> Regards,
> Al Hastbacka

Hi Al,

Our Rapid Tools software has a module for increasing and decreasing the
number of facets in a STL file. The REDUCE function will decrease the
number of facets, while allowing the user to define several control
parameters such as: tolerance, maximum angle, height ratio, average
edge, and grid size. These controls will preserve thin walls and other
model features, while eliminating thin and excess facets.

Best regards,
Michael Tsenter

--
DeskArtes - North America