RE: STL Question - IGES -> STL

From: Gabby Kroes (kroes@tno.prc.tno.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 05 1997 - 15:41:13 EET

 Todd wrote

> 1) Wireframe entities only - lines, points, arcs etc.
> 2) Wireframe and surface entities
> 3) Surface entities only
> 4) High quality surfaces - all joined closely at the seams and
> forming a totally enclosed volume defining all surfaces of
> the part.
>
> Only ITEM 4 will be of direct use in converting to an STL (unless
> I am unaware of some magical program). Note that it is possible to
> import any of the others into your CAD system and manually base a
> new solid model on them that can then be used to create a STL file.
> We do this frequently with PRO-E. It can be time consuming - but it
> works.
>
> Regards, Todd Stahlhut

Todd is right. It can be hard to make a good convertion
from iges to your own CAD software.
But it is very well possible to convert the iges with very good results,
so you don't have to make a new solid, but just use the solid from the
iges info. (This saves a lot of time). Some times you only have to
trim a couple of surfaces by hand.
Making a good convertion may take a couple of tries, but don't give
up.

Maybe some tips:

- Ask the iges profider for the log file of his/her conversion, it
tells you about the entities that are in the iges.

- Ask the iges profider to convert only the 3D model, not all the
mess that is used for creating the model

- don't hesitate to ask the profider of your CAD system for help.
They know what is important and what not.

I hope this helps a little, good luck,

Gabby Kroes
g.kroes@ind.tno.nl

+31 15 260 87 25