RE: STL Question - IGES -> STL

From: Stahlhut, Todd A. (stahlht@indy.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Feb 05 1997 - 14:13:00 EET

> I need to convert IGES files to STL files, and was referred
> to this address. We may try opening the file in IDEAS and
> then saving as an STL, but are not sure if this will
> work. Any ideas would be extremely helpful. This is a
> university project, so cost is of concern. Thank you for
> your time. Michael Smith, University of New Mexico
> michaeld@unm.edu

This may be stating the obvious but.... all IGES files are not
created equal. An IGES file can contain :

1) Wireframe entities only - lines, points, arcs etc.
2) Wireframe and surface entities
3) Surface entities only
4) High quality surfaces - all joined closely at the seams and
     forming a totally enclosed volume defining all surfaces of
     the part.

Only ITEM 4 will be of direct use in converting to an STL (unless
I am unaware of some magical program). Note that it is possible to
import any of the others into your CAD system and manually base a
new solid model on them that can then be used to create a STL file.
We do this frequently with PRO-E. It can be time consuming - but it
works.

Regards, Todd Stahlhut