benchmarking (on topic)

From: Elaine Persall (persall@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 16:48:56 EET

We RPers seem to love the subject of benchmarking and probably have all
done it to some extent. But if we look real close we can see the flaws in
most studies...

Some did not present complete data. (to protect vendors from false data)
Some did not use correct methodologies. (one part or build does not make a
study)
Some leave process control open (to operator interpretation).

It would be great if this user forum could decide on...

Geometry (just what is most important to users)
Method of measurement ( hand tools, CMM, laser or other )
Process parameters and method (for results verification)
Data to be presented and where (papers, internet)
Discussion limits (No flaming those who results fell off charts.)

Until RP has developed to where it has an independent testing
lab to provide factual data based on scientific methodoligies...then we
have to keep the witch's brew stirred and checking the tea leaves.

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine (Persall) Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
persall@ces.clemson.edu
http://design.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html