Re: color, current demand vs. ultra customization

From: Stahlhut, Todd A. (stahlht@po2.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Jan 29 1997 - 19:51:00 EET

>> The promise of this technology to this culture is ultra customization not
>> "current demand".

> Oooh! I like that. But let me suggest a bit different terminology.
> (Would anyone accuse me of paying too much attention to terminology? :) )
> "Customization" means taking a product that is mass produced and tweaking
> it to allow the customer some meager variation in it. The real potential
> available from fabricators (over the long term, not in the next few years)

> is to throw out the templates for the mass products and start over again
> for each customer from ground zero.

While this all sounds good - I wonder how much of the public would choose
to take the time to really decide what they want - and then go through the
grief of ensuring that they get it? For example even though you can get
a custom built home - I would bet the majority of homes built today are
of the "off the shelf" variety. Although most of us in the RP list would
choose
to obtain some level of customization - I think that a majority of the
population
would not.

Just my opinion...

Todd Stahlhut