Re: color, current demand vs. ultra customization

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Wed Jan 29 1997 - 06:58:21 EET

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 Zedand00@aol.com wrote:
> though that most people don't know what they want until they see it. This

     Absolutely correct, Micheal. I am old enough to remember the advent of
color TV in Canada (where I grew up). People actually didn't see what the
big deal was at first. Even after watching a program in color, they still
didn't really get it, but were quite satisfied to go back to their B&W sets.
B&W was what they were used to, comfortable with. But just try to get them
to give up their color TV now: no way.

> The promise of this technology to this culture is ultra customization not
> "current demand".

     Oooh! I like that. But let me suggest a bit different terminology.
(Would anyone accuse me of paying too much attention to terminology? :) )
"Customization" means taking a product that is mass produced and tweaking
it to allow the customer some meager variation in it. The real potential
available from fabricators (over the long term, not in the next few years)
is to throw out the templates for the mass products and start over again
for each customer from ground zero. This is what I have called the
"haircut model of manufacturing," and what Ravi Kumar called "customer
co-construction." The engineer works on a one-on-one basis with the
customer to create a product that is uniquely suited to his or her
needs, wants, and resources, just like a barber styling a customer's
hair. Fabricators (or "RP machines," if you must) will make this possible.

> I can literally make my life.

     Right on! Leave it to an artist to see the true potential of a
technology revolution.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **