Re: Golf Balls

From: Dan Sammons (DPT@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 01:38:13 EET

Al,
We were involved with a golf ball design that we built on our SLA350
machine and finished with a satisfied customer. The development was
such that the primary objective for DPT was to build an SLA from the
cutomer's supplied Pro/E part file that the customer to subject the SLA
part to various wind tunnel testing, etc.

The first model was built as a solid ball at 1 to 1 scale with .004"
layers and tested. The customer then asked for a seond ball at a 2 to 1
scale. This scale provided a higher level of accuracy within the dimple
patterns. In the third model we split the golf ball into 2 equal
halves, shelled the wall thickness to .100" providing a hollow shere,
used a "chord" line to key the 2 halves together (when we assembled the
ball) and built the ball with a layer thickness of .002" The customer
ultimately settled on a design which is now being machined from aluminum
as a solid shere.

I hope this helps with your project.

Dan Sammons
Design Prototyping Technologies, Inc.