Cost Comparisons/RP variables

From: George Sachs (sachs@pipeline.com)
Date: Fri Jan 03 1997 - 22:08:02 EET

Happy New Year to all!

I too would be interested in a simple table showing some type of comparative
costs/given_part (by method?) broken down as a function of build time,
material usage (volume), labor costs, etc. (without the advertising, if
possible). I know this is not easy to generalize (or get), but there should
be some "formula" which can be used to approximate these costs (including
profit). Perhaps someone has published such an analysis in a dissertation or
technical paper? I know Chrysler has used numerous technologies and would
have a good deal of information in this regard. In the end of course it's
really an academic question because "costs are costs" and ultimately the
value of a process is determined and influenced by supply and demand forces,
what companies are willing to pay for services and how they view the value
of what they get. A $5000 part may seem extremely expensive to you or I, but
not so bad to a large automotive manufacturer.

George Sachs