sources of RP information

From: Elaine Persall (persall@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 13 1996 - 16:15:03 EET

David Randolf wrote.............

>in house RP eventually. I would welcome your input about software,
>hardware, networking, the learning curve, pit falls you had that we might
>avoid, basically any info you would like to share.

Dear David and other new RP users,

Since education and information go hand in hand I am more than happy to say....
"Welcome to the world of Rapid Prototyping"! There are many good sources
of current information so as you begin your research you will find there
are a number of organizations that you should be aware of that will help
you quickly find the information you need. Obviously the rp-ml mail list
is a valuable resource to finding out what the other users of the
technology are
working on; other resources include:

The Rapid Prototyping Journal, published by MCB University Press, and can
be reached at http://www.mcb.co.uk

The Rapid Prototyping Technical Quarterly is published by the Rapid Prototyping
Association of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (RPA/SME). For more
information, you can contact the association manager, Kristen Dudash at
dudakri@sme.org or check out the homepage on the Global Manufacturing Network
at http://www.sme.org. In addition to the quarterly newsletter, the RPA/SME
sponsors many educational programs including the annual RP & M conference.
April 22-24, 1997 are the dates for the next event to be held in Dearborn,
Michigan, USA. Members of the RPA also have access to the SME Technical
Library, Technical Referal Database, and discounts on other technology specific
educational events, books, videotapes, and a new CD ROM tuturial due in 1997.

The Rapid Prototyping Report, published by CAD/CAM Publishing, Inc is another
resource to consider and you can reach them at http://www.cadcamnet.com

Several books available through the SME are MUST reading for students here
at Clemson.
One is Automated Fabrication by Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com) and
both books by Paul Jacobs. All books are available through the SME.

I hope this information helps get you started. If you wish an information
overload...then do a web search using some of these key words:
stereolithography, SLA, SLA, Cubital, Stratasys,
Helisys, rapid prototyping, etc. What used to produce a few results will
now fill hours of enjoyable learning.

I posted a few conferences yesterday so you can begin to take advantage of
networking with current RP users, vendors, and suppliers. Hope to see you
in Dearborn in 1997.

Sincerely,

Elaine Persall

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine Persall, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
persall@ces.clemson.edu
http://design.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html