Re: I-DEAS & .STL files

From: Robert Gologranc (Pexpress.Staff.vet.eng.rmit@Etc.et.rmit.edu.au)
Date: Thu Dec 12 1996 - 01:19:42 EET

Andy,
The process takes a few steps, assuming your model is on screen.
1,
Select Rapid Prototype from the design menu.
2,
Select the file icon in the top left corner.
3,
Select the solid part for output.

>From the Prototyping Dialog

4,
Select Prototype Device from the list.
5,
Set your part position, there are three options here.
a. CENTERED
b. ORIGIN
c. CURRENT

Centered will position your part in the center of your build tank.
Origin will place your part at 0,0,0, in the positive octant.
Current will use the current origin of your part. If the part is in
negitive space it will not allow you to process the model and provide
you with a error dialog.

6,
Set your Facet deviation to the desired tolerance.
7,
Choose Binary (Prefered for file size)
8,
Ok, or Apply to create the STL file. You will notice in the IDEAS
list verification of the RP file being written.
9,
I assume you know what to do from here.

Long winded I know, but it works well !

> From: amessin@ssd.bna.boeing.com
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:10:54 -0800
> Subject: I-DEAS & .STL files
> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi

> My new experiment for today is to take an I-DEAS Master Series 3.0
> model and process it to obtain a .STL file for Maestro.
> Can anyone help with this process?
> Anything is greatly appreciated
> Thanks
> Andy Messina