3D Xerox, 3D fax

From: Terry T. Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 1996 - 22:24:23 EET

Marshall Burns wrote:

> This is essentially correct. And when you combine them together you
> get either 3-D Xerox (if the scanner and fabricator are in the same room)
> or 3-D fax (if they are not).

I wish it was that easy. Those who have done it will agree that it's not that
simple. Methods and technologies will improve over time, but I don't expect
them to change *significantly* any time soon. Whether it's probe-based, laser,
x-ray, or CGI, each digitization becomes a project, requiring special expertise
and often some trial 'n error. It's very different than copying or faxing a
printed page.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.