Re: Jewelry Design Software

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Mon Nov 25 1996 - 12:58:57 EET

Rolf Huber wrote:

>For those of you who remember when Sanders Prototype tried to get the RP
>industry to acknowledge another format "HPGL", a format that has been in
>existence for 15 years if not longer. HPGL is true surface data instead of
>cord data, and therefore a much better representation of the model surface.
>Alias now supports .slc which is slice data or surface data.

I seem to be missing the point here.

As far as I know HPGL stands for Hewlett Packard Graphics Language,
designed for controlling their line of 2D pen plotters, and after that
having become the de-facto standard for pen plotters.
So what is can do is tell a 2D plotter to plot lines, circles and to colour
parts of the drawing.

How can this language ever represent true (3D) surface data ?

The only assumption I can make is that you mean to use slice data
to represent the 3D surface in a large number of 2D sections. In contrast
to using 3D STL files, when using HPGL the slicing will have to be done
in the CAD-software.

Regards

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
Active in CAD/CAM, Rapid Prototyping and NC milling
Email : info@spline.nl
Web : http://www.spline.nl