Re: thin layers and manners

From: Peter Gien (71773.3150@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 1996 - 18:14:32 EET

Chris Clodfel asked:

>> Has anyone out there heard of any rp systems that can build a layer
>> thickness in the 5-10 micron range.

Lets see Chris, 5 micron is 5 micrometers which is 5/1000,000 of a meter. This
is about 0.0002 inch if I did the arithmetic correctly.

I know that the Sanders MM6B machine is capable of 0.00025 layer thickness, but
I am not sure if you would need a custom software configuration. With the
standard machine and software, you could choose a 0.0005" layer configuration
and overide it to a smaller slice thickness if needed.

The Sanders machine will do 0.0005 (half a thousandths of an inch) right out of
the box.

But a note of caution: Realize that a micron is very small. For example the
wavelength of light is about 500 nanometers which is half a micron. Many dust
particles are much bigger than this.

Peter H. Gien
POGO International, Inc.
71773.3150@compuserve.com