Rhino software

From: Terry T. Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 1996 - 02:58:23 EET

Has anyone stumbled across the Rhino software from Robert McNeel & Associates?
The company has been in the software business for many years. Rhino might serve
as an inexpensive alternative to one or more of the products from
Alias/Wavefront. NURBS surface construction in Rhino are based on the AGLib
library -- technology used in the Alias software. Rhino combines surface and
solid modeling using Boolean functions. When the software becomes available in
the February 1997 timeframe, it will sell for $795. In the meantime, you can
download a development version for free at www.rhino3d.com. It runs on
computers equipped with Windows 95 or NT. I was told to keep in mind that the
software is under constant development. The web page includes a list of product
features, along with several impressive rendered models created with Rhino.

I downloaded the beta version and installed it in a few minutes. Moments later,
I was creating interesting freeform shapes using NURBS curves, surfaces and
solids. I have not yet taken the time to create a real object with real
dimensions. From what I've seen and learned, it shows a lot of promise. If you
know how to use AutoCAD, you should find it relatively easy to use. Before I
draw any conclusions about the software, I want to communicate with others
interested in the software. If you have used it or plan to give it a try, I
would be very interested in your thoughts. If you use Alias Designer or Studio,
PTC's CDRS software, or any other surface/solid modeling product, I would be
interested in hearing from you.

Thanks!

Terry Wohlers

Wohlers Associates, Inc.