Stating contact information internationa

From: martti.huolila@benefon.fi
Date: Wed Nov 20 1996 - 08:30:34 EET

Dear Madams, Sirs and RP:ers

Could we make an effort to use some sort of an international means of
stating addresses, phone numbers and such data. Many do, but not everybody.

A good way could be to add a "+" sign in front of the country code so
everybody contacting from within the coutry could leave the unnecessary
digits out.

This is especially vital for countries where ethnic groups are numerous but
individuals do not answer under the same country code that their names lead
one to assume.

This goes for visit cards as well. Sometimes recognizing the country from an
address can be somewhat tricky.

If one doesn't know "Allentown PA84848" is in the states and doesn't mean an
Allen screw manufacturers home town in Postal Area 84848 somewhere or if a
similar address is possible elsewhere, one will have to dial to all possible
country codes. The time difference between Britain, Australia and USA make
it hard not to risk waking people up.

And I've seen visit cards in English pointing to countries where the
language is hardly spoken. So knowing the address systems of those three
areas isn't enough.

This list, after all, is originated in Finland, Europe and is supposed to be
international.

Any comments ?

With the best of regards

Martti Huolila