Re: Autofact '96

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Sun Nov 17 1996 - 23:24:10 EET

Someone whom I think wishes to remain nameless, sent me this report
privately, but I think its worth a spin around the net.
--------------------------------------
The AUTOFACT attendance was much lower than last year. My estimate is
13,000 attendees versus more than 20,000 last year.

3D displayed the ACTUA 2100, but have not shipped any production units
yet. One of their Beta customers is on his third replacement machine.
The exact problems remain a 3D TOP SECRET.

BPM had three of their machines printing with invisible ink, or at least
it appeared that way.

Sanders displayed the ModelMaker II.

Stratasys and Helisys had good displays of there latest products.

The vendor conference had a tiny audience (less than 50 attendees, but
subtracting the representatives from the presenting companies- it was
probably attended by thirty people.)

DTM had almost no presence.

COREL had a 3D CAD package that looked interesting. They are offering a
free thirty day trial on this package.

Yakov Horenstein Tel: +39 2 65 35 12
Milano, Italy Fax: +39 2 2900 6208