Re: Leading Edge or Just Paid Ads?

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 08 1996 - 10:57:08 EET

>I just wanted to express some concerns over a recent "invitation" that Lone
>Peak recieved to sumit a
>technical paper to "Prototyping Technology International '97". The letter
>that was sent to me and the initial conversation (they called me) indicated
>that Prototyping Technology is "designed to review leading edge
>developments across the entire spectrum of product evolution and generative
>manufacturing."
>
>We were requested to submit "a suitable technical article". But, on the
>second go around, we were told that they would not run a technical article
>without a paid advertisement.
>
>You decide --- is it really a leading edge publication or simply a series
>of paid ads disguised as technical papers?
>
>Alair Griffin
>Lone Peak Engineering, Inc.
>

>Lone Peak Engineering, Inc.
>12660 S. Fort St.
>Draper, UT 84020
>801-553-1732 TEL
>801-553-1734 FAX
>lpe@lonepeak.com
>http://www.aros.net/~lonepeak/lpe

We received the same invitation, including the obigation for a paid
advertisement, which indeed made us suspicious about the aims of
the company.

However, on our request we received an older publication on a different
subject, which looked very serious indeed. We contacted one of the
authors of that publication, and he told that he indeed recieved a large
number of leads from his paper + paid advertisement.
The publication will be distributed without cost.

So we decided to agree, and in the publication you will find a paper
and an advertisement on the subject of 'Rapid Prototyping using an
affordable CNC milling machine'.

I hope it indeed does work out.

Regards

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
Active in CAD/CAM, Rapid Prototyping and NC milling
Email : info@spline.nl
Web : http://www.spline.nl