RP models

From: David Comeau (albright@ici.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 1996 - 17:43:55 EET

Dear RP-ML members,

Happened to notice a message regarding the use of any model for use in the
Keltool process, and just wanted to throw our support towards considering
other types of RP models, in addition to SLA, for rapid tooling
applications.

We have developed a composite silicone-aluminum tool that is fabricated by
casting directly off the RP master; the tool is then used to injection mold
parts in many resins. An application that comes to mind which tends not to
favor an SLA model is an optically clear part such as a lens or light pipe.
 Since our mold surface finish is replicated from the master, this type of
part often requires a machined acrylic model that is finely polished. We
have found SLA models are just not feasible in terms of time and cost, for
attaining this type of polish. Our molds have been successfully generated
using SLA, LOM, and SLS models, among other types, with equivalent results.

Best regards,

Scott Dobson
Albright Technologies Inc.
(508) 422-8051