About that sintering question......

From: pattisow@dtm-corp.com
Date: Mon Nov 04 1996 - 22:34:11 EET

     For those interested-

     As an Applications Manager for the DTM Corporation, I am obviously
     quite interested in any rp-ml discussion of the Selective Laser
     Sintering process. Perhaps you will allow me to clarify the recent
     discussion of sintering vs. melting.

     First of all, let me point out that in the strictest technical sense
     of the word, our process is not true sintering. As I believe the
     gentleman from Japan was trying to point out, true sintering takes
     place at some temperature below the melting point of the material in
     question. Adjacent particles are actually joined when their surfaces
     become soft due to the effects of heat and pressure. Since there is
     no pressure involved in SLS, you can see how we have a slight
     misnomer.

     Now, as to that porosity business. Most SLS materials yield a part
     that is somewhat porous, and not just on the surface. This occurs
     because, while the material is melted during the process, it does not
     necessarily flow with ease. This means that while adjacent particles
     may soften, swell, and then touch, the resulting union may not be
     without gaps. Just how large the gaps are depends upon how well the
     material flows in the small amount of time between being struck by the
     laser and cooling to hardness. How well the material flows is in turn
     dependent upon its' molecular weight and structure. More
     specifically, density correlates with material approximately as
     follows:

     Fine Nylon- 100%
     Glass Filled Nylon- 90-100%
     Polycarbonate- 70%
     TrueForm- 70-90%
     Wax- 100%
     RapidSteel (after copper infiltration)- 100%

     As you may have deduced, each particle in a part will retain something
     of its' original shape. This is one reason that SLS parts have a
     "grainy" appearance before finishing. The other reason is that a few
     non-melted particles that are adjacent to particles which are actually
     struck by the laser will be fused to the part surface due to latent
     heat effects.

     About metals. The metals process is slightly different than that for
     the polymeric materials since the laser energy provided is
     insufficient to actually melt steel. In this case, each metal
     particle (a sphere) is coated with a polymer. When the laser strikes
     the material, it is this coating that melts and fuses to the coating
     on neighboring particles. The steel particles are not directly fused
     to each other until the part is taken through the "brown" stage of the
     furnace process. At that point it is essentially a metal sponge,
     which is then fully soaked with molten copper, becoming 100% dense.

     Finally, it's still an .stl file. The minimum and maximum layer
     thickness are material dependent, not machine dependent, and are
     therefore unchanged. The laser is still a 50 watt carbon dioxide
     tube.

     I apologize for the length of this reply, but I hope it helps to clear
     up any confusion on this subject.

     Sincerely,
     Will Pattison
     Applications Manager, DTM Corporation