Re: Sinterstation 2500

From: Joseph DeGuglielmo (jfdegug@Kodak.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 04 1996 - 05:53:30 EET

nemeth@MPTW01.mw.tu-dresden.de wrote:

> Dear RP World,
> I have two questions regarding DTM`s Selective Laser Sintering RP process:
>
> 1. On their WEB page the process is described as follows:
> "... The interaction of the laser beam with the powder elevates the
> temperature to the point of melting, fusing the powder particles and
> forming a solid mass. The intensity of the laser beam is modulated TO
> METL THE POWDER only in areas defined by object's design geometry..."
> Does the "sintering" mean that the powder particles actualy melt? Or
> only the surfaces of the particles? The surface of an SLS prototype is
> described as "porous" so I think the particles are not completely
> melted. Is that right?
>
> 2. DTM has recently announced their new machine, the Sinterstation
> 2500. The process chamber has been changed in shape and size. Does
> anyone know about the following features?
> - Input file formats
> - Minimum slice thickness
> - Maximum slice thickness
> - Laser type and power
> Does any of them changed?
>
> Karoly Nemeth
>
> Technical University of Budapest
> Technical University of Dresden
Koroly,
My name is Joe DeGuglielmo and I work at Eastman Kodak were the first
SLS Beta machine was installed. To answer your question:
        "Does the "sintering" mean that the powder particles actualy melt? Or
only the surfaces of the particles? The surface of an SLS prototype is
described as "porous" so I think the particles are not completely
melted. Is that right?"
The chamber is actually elevated to just under the melting point of the
plastic by heaters within the machine. The laser adds the additional
heat needed to melt the material to a liquid state. The reason that SLS
parts appear porous is because the molten plastic takes on the shape of
adjacent powder.

My understanding of the new machine, after talking with my DTM sales
person and from what I heard at the recent SLS usergroup meeting, is
that the machines are basically the same. The work envelop is larger,
there is a new more accurate beam delivery system, and a commercial
grade computer.

Layer thickness has not changed, the input file is still a .stl. I'm not
sure of the answer about laser power. I think its the same but I'm not
certain.

--

Regards,

Joe DeGuglielmo Eastman Kodak Company Rapid Prototyping Center 901 Elmgrove Rd. Rochester, NY 14653-5315 (716)-726-7046 jfdegug@kodak.com