(no subject)

From: Georges Fadel (gfadel@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 31 1996 - 22:26:34 EET

> From zerbos@lms.mech.upatras.gr Thu Oct 31 14:11:05 1996
> From: "ZERVOS SPILIOS" <zerbos@lms.mech.upatras.gr>
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 20:44:23 -0800
> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
> Sender: owner-rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>
> A couple of questions on the STL format:
> 1/ Are STL files from Pro/E different from STL files from I-DEAS, for example?
> In other words, does each CAD sw export proprietary STL files? Or is it that if
> one plays around with the STL parameters, eg chord length & angle control for
> Pro/E, will end up with the same STL after all?
> 2/ Is there any web-site or publication with details on the way STL files are
> structured?
>
> --
> *************************************
> Spilios ZERVOS
> Project Manager
> Laboratory for Manufacturing Systems
> Mechanical Engineering Department
> University of Patras
> Rio, Patras 261 10
> Greece
> Tel: +30-61-997262
> Fax: +30-61-997744
> E-mail: zerbos@lms.mech.upatras.gr
> *************************************

The STL format is the way the data is presented. This follows strict rules
that are described in several places, including our web site:
http://design.clemson.edu/rp/rp.html

Now when you generate the stl file, different programs will implement
the tessellation differently, and some may have mistakes, some not.

Playing with the chordal tolerance will control the size and number of
triangles, but will have no imput on the way the programmer implemented
the tesselation. This is program specific, even though the approaches
may be very similar.

---
Georges M. Fadel
Associate Professor
Mechanical Engineering Department			Tel: (864) 656-5620
Clemson University					Fax: (864) 656-4435
Clemson SC 29634-0921 USA
e-mail: gfadel@eng.clemson.edu
www: http://design.eng.clemson.edu/dmg/people/faculty/fadel.html