Re: Build Time Estimator

From: Joseph DeGuglielmo (L) (jfdegug@Kodak.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 29 1996 - 16:43:19 EET

Joel Edward McClurkin wrote:

> I am a Graduate Research Assisstant at the Georgia Tech Rapid Prototyping
> Lab. Recently I completed a beta version of a build time estimator for
> use over the world wide web. It works very well in our lab for our SLA
> 250. Most of the time it is within 2-3% accurate. I am trying to get
> other people to use my estimator to see if it as accurate for other
> machines, and if not, how to correct these discrepencies. This program
> requires that the .STL file be sliced first as it takes the .v and .r
> files as input. To use the build time estimator just connect to our web
> page at: http://rpmi.marc.gatech.edu and then click on the Build Time
> Estimator link on the home page. Instructions should be fairly clear. If
> web access is not possible I have compiled versions that run on Sun
> Solaris 2.5, IRIX 5.4 for SGI, and Linux for PC. These are available on
> our ftp site at ftp rpmi.marc.gatech.edu/pub/OUTGOING/estimator/ Any and
> all feedback is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Joel McClurkin
> gt2506a@prism.gatech.edu
> (404) 894-9158

Joel,
I down loaded your estimator this morning (SGI Indy)and tried it on 2
recent builds. The first one was off by about 9% (13hr build) while the
second was only off by 2.4% (33hr build) Do you find shorter build to
less accurate? Good work!

--

Regards,

Joe DeGuglielmo Eastman Kodak Company Rapid Prototyping Center 901 Elmgrove Rd. Rochester, NY 14653-5315 (716)-726-7046 jfdegug@kodak.com