Re: Scanned face

From: Sarvajit S Sinha (sss@iware.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 1996 - 23:09:57 EEST

>Craig Jackson wrote:
>
>> I scanned my face in on a scanner recently and got a file back in .wrl
>> format. Does anyone know how this might be converted to an .stl file
>> format.

Do you love working in the trenches? Then this one's for you...

.wrl files, as others have noted, are VRML files.

I was unable to get Craig's .wrl file due to network problems (the net is
great as long as your passageway to it isn't a slow modem!)

So I ftp-ed the original Cyberware scanned data sets to our site. These
scans are interesting since range and color data sets are taken at the same
time, and both sets of information are registered. If you have access to the
web, look at the right hand side of the image
http://www.iware.com/~sss/gifs/face.gif
This is a complete 3D image of Craig's face, with the color data mapped on.

The left hand side of the same image contains the same data set, but colored
in cyan.

Did you know that there is a 10 fold explosion in the data size from the
original data set (which is gridded) to an STL file (where every node is
explicit)!

I then sampled the data set down by 4x4 and wrote it in .wrl format from
within our software. If you have Netscape 3.0, and are willing to wait to
download a 1.7Mb file, you could look at http://www.iware.com/~sss/face.wrl

If you have any questions about what I did, please e-mail Tom Landrey
(tlandrey@iware.com). Tom would be happy to field any questions.

Sarvajit
Sarvajit Sinha sss@iware.com (313) 994-7300(ph)
Imageware Inc, http://www.iware.com/~sss (313) 994-7303(fax)