Re: Sheet Metal Applications

From: BAU (BAU@biba.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Fri Oct 25 1996 - 16:40:20 EEST

> The Rapid Prototyping Association of SME is conducting a
> study to determine if developing a course on the use of RP
> for sheet metal parts and tooling applications is justified.
>
> We would like to know: (1) if you have applied RP to sheet
> metal forming problems, (2) your assessment of how useful RP
> was and (3) a description of the application.
>

> Robert L. Brown
> RPA Advisory Board of SME
> robert_brown@gillette.com
> phone: 01 (617) 421-7604
> fax: 01 (617) 421-8484

Yes !
We are even developing our own course, which will be the third day of our
>Rapid Prototyping< seminar next year here in Bremen, April 22-24.
Unfortunately, all sessions will be held in german.

(Contact info for the subscribers with a knowledge of German :
Haus der Technik, Hollestr.1, 45 127 Essen, Germany
Tel. +49 201 1803-1 Fax. +49 201 1803-269)

To your questions:
(1)
A / Multi-axial bending of stainless steel for a position lamp cap using
SLA pattern -> Densit concrete tool (male) -> rubber pad forming
B/ Boxes and badges drawn on polyurathane tools by rubber pad forming.

(2)
Difficult - up to now, we concentrated on showing the feasibility. As
sheet metal parts are often large, milling the tools still wins the
competition quite often, at least economically. But things change ...
(>we are working on it<)

(3)
For A:
Berger, U., Thoben, K.-D., Mller, H.: Rapid Prototyping Technologies for
Advanced Sheet Metal Forming. SME
     Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing '93 Conference, Dearborn,
Michigan, USA, 1993.

For B:
Bauer, J., Lck, Th.: Development of Sheet Metal Products using an
Integrated Simulation and Toolbuilding Process
     Chain. The 4th International Conference on Sheet Metal, Twente,
Nederlands, April 1996.
     See Paper in html-format at
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/projects/hyprform/shemet.html

More papers: Bottom of
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/groups/rp/rp_paper.html

With kind regards,
Juergen Bauer

Dipl. Ing. Juergen Bauer, Bremen Institute of Industrial Technology and
Applied Work Science (BIBA), P.O. Box 33 05 60, 28 335 Bremen,
Germany,
Phone: +49/421/218-5542, Fax: +49/421/218-5510, Email:
bau@biba.uni-bremen.de,
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/users/bau/bau.html