Re: Scan speed and laser beam size in Sinter Station 2000

From: David K. Leigh (harvest@vvm.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 1996 - 12:46:02 EEST

On 18 Oct 96 at 11:35, Dong Ping wrote:
> Dear RP members,
>
> Is there anyone know the relationship between Scan Size and Scan
> Speed in Sinter Station 2000? And also, I want to know the laser
> beam size in that machine. Thanks!

The laser is focused to 400 microns at the center of the part bed.
This translates to approx. ?.018"?. The kicker is that the effective
beam diameter, due to the thermal nature of the process, varies with
laser energy delivered to the part bed.

Laser Energy == Laser Power, Scan Speed, Scan Spacing, and time
between scans.

Laser power = Wattage of laser set at the user interface - 0-50 Watts

Scan Speed = Number of Scan units per unit of time. Scan units refers to the
resolution of the scanner over the part bed, approx 65k by 65k scan
units over 12 inches. The unit of time is not adjustable by the
user, but with the time fixed, speed can be varied by varying scan
units.

Scan Spacing = Distance between two parallel vectors, i.e. .008"

Time Between Scans = Determined by geometry. If you are scanning a
large 8" square, the time between adjacent scans is quite large,
therefore energy is dissapated between scans and the result is less
thermal energy being delivered. On the other hand, a 2" square
scanned with the same laser settings will appear to have more growth
and bonus-z (z growth, overcure).
| David K. Leigh 6530 Cedar Creek Rd. |
| Harvest Technologies Temple, TX 76504 |
| Rapid Prototyping Center (817) 742-1822 - voice |
| harvest@vvm.com (817) 742-0053 - fax |