RE: Questions: 1) Keltool 2) TekCast

From: Connelly, Rob - BDRC (connelly@bdrc.bd.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 1996 - 17:10:21 EEST

Yakov wrote:

>kindly explain (briefly):

I'll try to be brief...

>1) What Keltool is, what it does, and how does it work with RP?

Keltool, now to be referred to as 3D Keltool since their purchase by 3D
Systems, is a technology for replicating a physical master into metal. You
send them a master made any way you like, and they will send you one or more
copies in metal. The materials from which to choose are Stellite (really
hard stuff), A6 (tool steel), or copper-tungsten (great for EDM electrodes).
 The technology uses a powder-metallurgy process to do its magic. I have
used it for several tooling projects - primarily from SLA masters but also
from Sanders masters. The process results in a very predictable shrinkage
(scale up your masters) of .008in/in for the first two mat'ls and .010in/in
for the Cu-Tungsten. There are no constraints on the material during the
shrinkage (unlike investment casting) so it is very uniform, with little
resultant distortion. Surface finish is excellent, at 20-25 uin, and it has
amazing ability to pick up even the tiniest features (that is why BD is
interested in it for tiny medical products.) 3D Keltool claims an accuracy
of +/-.001in/in for up to a 4x4x4 inch cube (yes, this is for relatively
small inserts) and I have found that to be pretty close.

Bottom line - it works.

 - Rob
Rob Connelly
Becton Dickinson Research Center