Product development savings chart

From: Joe Frantz (jfrantz@frantzind.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 1996 - 15:52:04 EEST

I have seen a chart in a few rapid companies' brochures that shows the
advantages of making changes in the early part of the development cycle. On
the chart, the horizontal is "Product Life Cycle" and the vertical is "$".
The copy is "More than 70% of your available cost savings are available to
you only during the development phase".

I believe that I also saw this chart in an article that stated it was based
on a study done by a consortium of five large companies, but I can not find it.

Does anyone know the source of this study and how I can get a copy?

Thank you.

FRANTZ IDUSTRIES, INC.
Rapid Tooling & Injection Molding
45 Pleasant Drive