Re: Automatic split line creation (3D CAD software)

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@chaph.usc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 16 1996 - 16:47:17 EEST

Simon van de Crommert wrote:

> I am currently looking for 3D CAD software that can automatically create a
> split line, the only one that I came accross that does the job is
> ProEngineer with the ProMold module.
>
> After creating a 3D part we would like to produce 2 mould halves (to make
> an injection moulding tool). These mould halves need to maintain links with
> the original part, i.e. if the original 3D part is modified
> (adding/deleting features) the 2 mould halves should be automatically
> updated.

Simon,

There are several software packages that offer "automatic" parting line
generation. In my experience, however, they only sometimes work in the
real world. The problem is that changing a feature in the neighborhood
of the parting line can radically alter its shape. It requires human
intelligence and years of experience to see what the effect will be.
Sometimes, a seemingly small change will force a parting along a
completely different plane. Also, moving the parting line requires
changes to drafted surfaces.

Although I try to do most of my work using feature-based solids, I find
it is almost always necessary to "break-away" into surface creation
methods to get the parting line right. This is especially true of the
surfaces extending out away from the parting, which usually have to
blend down to a common planar parting at the edge of the tool. For this
reason, I would take a look at the "hybrid" surface/solid modelers like
Delcam, Varimetrix, Euclid and others.

If you find a solution that works well for you, please post it to this
list.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos