Re: DETERMINING MATERIAL AMOUNTS FOR SLA PARTS

From: axiom@vnet.net
Date: Thu Aug 15 1996 - 15:27:58 EEST

attached mail follows:

I have received a few responses to my original question about how to charge
a customer the correct amout for resin. I have to tell you that most
you that. The below response is telling me that there is very little
difference in resin usage between an ACES build style and QuickCast build
style. I disagree with this siting as an example a part that is 16" in
diameter and 16" on the Z axis, obviously if this is built as a solid would
consume a lot more resin than if it were QuickCast and the walls would be
drained of resin.

What I really want to know, and maybe I did not make myself quite clear, is
do you break out the charge between resin and labor when charging a customer,
and if so what calculations do you use when you have volume or KG of the part
to determine the cost of the resin.

Lynda Hurley
Engineer/Mfg
Rapid Prototyping Lab
Lockheed Martin
5600 Sand Lake Road
Orlando, FL. 32819
(407)356-4390
Lynda_J_Hurley@ccmain.orl.mmc.com

Do you have Solidview or something similar. ProE even. They will tell you the
volume of the part. Solid view would also tell you the volume of the supports.
There is more resin consumed depending on how well you drain the part. But
additional resin will still adhere. Maybe you could weigh the part before and
after washing to get a handle on that. The build style I think you will find
   has
little to do with the resin consumption. Any more questions feel free to ask.
Andy
axiom@vnet.net