Service Bureau Pricing

From: David K. Leigh (harvest@vvm.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 1996 - 19:02:25 EEST

Well, this is either good news or bad news, depending on how you
take it. I've noticed a trend that there are a few service bureaus
"dumping" their products on the market. An example of pricing:

A customer of mine had me quote a job in SLS Fine Nylon and SLA. The
One part was roughly 7.5"x6"x3.5" and was thin walled. They quoted
this job for $150 in SLS and $160 in SLA. The other part was
7.5"x3.5"x1.75" and they quoted $75 in SLS and $85 in SLA. The
normal prices for the two parts are usually closer to $1000 and $500
respectively.

Now, if you were the customer, I guess this is great news. But, the
long term effect is that competition will disappear when you get
prices that are a fraction of the "cost" of materials.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a bear about this, because for the most
part, service bureau pricing is fairly standard and competetive. I
would really like to hear some discussion on what y'all think about
this. I personally think this is bad for the industry in the long
haul.

| David K. Leigh 6530 Cedar Creek Rd. |
| Harvest Technologies Temple, TX 76504 |
| Rapid Prototyping Center (817) 742-1822 - voice |
| harvest@vvm.com (817) 742-0053 - fax |