The List

From: Seppo J Niemi (zaphod@bart.lpt.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 09 1996 - 12:51:53 EEST

Well, it seems I'm the one to blame for the flame that arouse around
the Reply-To -header. Originally it seemed like a good idea to have
all the replies sent back to the list instead of the original author.

But it never occured to me that people may use automatic repliers when
they are on vacation; and an automatic reply to every message on the
list would generate another automatic reply and soon enough the world
would be filled with rp-ml.

Now the Reply-To -header is removed and things are back to normal. If
your mail client is capable of automatic archiving based on header
values, you should use "Sender:", which is always
"owner-rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi".

As to the discussion about converting the list into a newsgroup, my
opinion is definitely against it. We still have 'only' a little over
700 subscribers (746 to be exact) which in itself does not give a
reason to migrate over to USENET. And a mailing list is more intimate
and real-time than a worldwide newsgroup would be.

But for those of you who are not really interested in participating
the discussion but only want to read it, we now have a digest list. If
you wish to subscribe to the digest list, send email to
majordomo@ltk.hut.fi. The mail should consist of a single line which
says:

subscribe rp-ml-digest

If you subscribe to the digest list, *please* unsubscribe the rp-ml
itself to reduce traffic. Unsubscription is done by sending mail to
majordomo@ltk.hut.fi with a line that says:

unsubscribe rp-ml

And one should not forget the absolutely fabulous WWW-archive where we
store all the messages in a handy HTML-format. Just say:
"http://ltk.hut.fi/archives/" and enjoy the scenery.

//zaphod