2.5D Systems

From: Terry Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 1996 - 02:46:18 EEST

Heinz Stucki wrote:

> Is 2.5D a standard engineering term for slice-by-slice data or machining?

Heinz - It is a standard term in the machining world, but not RP, although most
RP processes use a 2.5D approach. For more than a decade, many in the CAD
industry have referred to 2.5D CAD as software that could "almost" do 3D, but
not quite. For instance, you might be able to produce an isometric of a 2D
drawing, creating the visual illusion of a 3D model. Early versions of Anvil
1000 from MCS and MicroCADAM offered variations of 2.5D, as I recall.

Many called AutoCAD Version 2.5 (released 10 years ago - June 1986) a 2.5D
system because you could produce a 2D profile and give it an elevation and
thickness. It was a coincidence that the version number was 2.5; it had
nothing to do with the fact that it was a 2.5D system.

Your "computer graphics" definition is consistent with the above definition.
I've heard many references to 2.5D and I believe it's safe to say that there's
not a single universally-accepted definition. RP processes are about as close
to 2.5D as you're going to get.

Hope this explanation helps!

Terry Wohlers

Wohlers Associates