Re: Rapid Tooling

From: FLOYD ROBERTS (Floyd.E.Roberts.III@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Thu Jun 27 1996 - 00:11:43 EEST

         NASA has an ongoing project in the direct production of Wax
         injection molds using RP technologies. Curently we have
         demonstrated sucessful fabrication of wax injection molds using
         FDM, LOM, and SLA. With all of the techniques the principal problem
         we have encountered is the retention of heat by the mold. (i.e.
         large bulky wax parts dont want to cool very quickly).
         We are currenlty experimenting with PVD coatings to increase life
         and increase thermal transfer. We have not yet published stuff but
         we are expected to by our management.
         Floyd Roberts
         205-544-1967
         floyd.roberts@msfc.nasa.gov