Re: Converting Scanned Items to DXF or IGES

From: Michael Rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Tue Jun 25 1996 - 19:35:04 EEST

Wayne Rose wrote:

> We are looking for a way to scan an item, symbol or logo and end
> up with a file in either DXF or IGES format to import into our CAD
> systems. Can anyone suggest software or a process to get us there.
> Also, I realize this topic has been discussed before, so if anyone could
> reiterate it for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

The type of software that can accomplish this is called a "shaped
displacement shader". You have three options (probably more) that I know
of.
1. If you have Adobe Photoshop, get a 49$ plug in called cybermesh. It
is available from Jknoll@aol.com for windows or macintosh. You have
several control options (height, radius, scale) as well as the ability
to apply to a rectangle, a sphere or a cone. It saves out in 6 or so
different types of files including a couple of DXF options.

2. If you have 3D Studio Max. They have the same option except you can
apply the bit mapped photo to any type of primitive.

3. Some of the Alias/wavefront products have shaped displacement
shaders.

Good Luck

Michael Rees
sculptor