Re: Return addresses requested

From: J. Michael New (MICHAEL.NEW@nrc.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 19:39:21 EEST

Lightman, Allan J. reveals:

> I heartily endorse Juergen Bauer's suggestion that everyone insert their
> e-mail address at the end of their notes. Microsoft Mail strips away the
> address of the originator and leaves the address of the mail server - the
> final originator of the message. Consequently, in order to reply to a
> message without a direct address, I must send it to everyone on the mail
> list. Looking over some of the recent postings it appears to me that there
> are many others facing this same problem.
>
> Allan Lightman
> lightman@udri.udayton.edu

Most mailers have a "signature" function which automagically puts some
text you specify at the bottom of every mail you send. See mine below.
You should make sure you have at least your name, your organization,
and your correct email address. Phone number is useful too, unless
you want to avoid sales calls (of which I get a few).

As for replying to the list vs. to the individual, it is something
that you get used to. The most confusing thing is to be on some
lists that reply to the list and others that reply to the original
sender. Personally, I prefer the reply to the list, since it seems
more like a discussion in that case. When I send a message off-list,
I have a different mindset and I automatically make sure I change
the outgoing address. But maybe this is just because I'm used to it...

Mike
J. Michael New Michael.New@NRC.Ca
Integrated Manufacturing Technologies Institute (613)991-4371
National Research Council of Canada home: (613)230-7783