Re2: rp-ml

From: BAU (BAU@biba.uni-bremen.de)
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 13:30:13 EEST

>> Subj: rp-ml
>> Date: 96-06-20 22:18:19 EDT
>> From: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk (Ian Gibson)
>> Sender: owner-rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>Mail programs can be set up differently. My mail (AOL-definitely NOT the
>greatest) gives me the above "short" header, with a full nasty detail
header
>at the bottom of the message. A reply does go to rp-ml, but the short
header
>clearly indicates the author....

>Rob Lloyd
>reml@aol.com

To me, as I sit behind some kind of firewall, the header of your message
looks like this:
>From: REML @ SMTP (REML) {rp-adm@bart.lpt.fi}
>To: rp-ml @ SMTP (rp-ml) {rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi}

As you see, your original address disappeared.
I know I am not the only one who is suffering from such
misconfigurations.

Anyway, with over 1000 subscribers and heavy traffic (had over 40 mails
after one day office leave),
I suggest:
1.) To let EVERYBODY write his/her e-mail address below their message, as
you did.
2.) To convert rp-ml into a Usenet newsgroup. (PC-based newsreaders are
now easily available; there is Newsagent from Forte, or you can use
Netscape news).
3.) To distribute a daily digest via e-mail
4.) To find mechanisms that will make it possible to use the full
functionality of the new rp-ml newsgroup via e-mail, so people with no
other Internet access than e-mail could participate like in the old days.

Do others want this, too ?
Is this technically possible ?
Would the guys in Finland be able & willing to go for it ?

With kind regards, Juergen Bauer

Dipl. Ing. Juergen Bauer, Bremen Institute of Industrial Technology and
Applied Work Science (BIBA), P.O. Box 33 05 60, 28 335 Bremen,
Germany,
Phone: +49/421/218-5595, Fax: +49/421/218-5510, Email:
bau@biba.uni-bremen.de,
http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/users/bau/bau.html