Re: Chroming STL Parts

From: Martin Geiger (mrg@ipa.fhg.de)
Date: Thu Jun 13 1996 - 15:29:07 EEST

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Ross Gates wrote:

> I have a customer that is asking us to chrome plate or vacuum metalize a
> StereoLithography part that would go on an automotive mockup. Does anyone
> have any experience with doing this with STL and can you give me references
> to what companies have this capability and if they have any experience with
> the STl resins. Also, can this process be done on LOM parts?

We did some work in coating stereolithography parts with chrome by use of
PVD technologies. The coating is very thin (some micrometers) but has a
good adheresion strength. But postprocessing is necessary because the
parts tend to outgasing what will effect the coating. The postprocessing
depends on the exact material.

We can do some examinations, but we are no service bureau.

Regards
        Martin

       '''
     /('^')\ \\|//
    ( o o ) (O-O)
-o000--(_)--000o--------------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo-------

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Geiger
Fraunhofer-Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation (IPA)
Nobelstrasse 12, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
phone: +49-711-970-1835, fax: +49-711-970-1004 e-mail: mrg@ipa.fhg.de

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the
Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an
utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life
forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches
are a pretty neat idea ...

  .ooo0
  ( ) 0ooo.
    \_) ) /