Re: Chroming STL Parts

From: Wilhelm Steger (wts@ipa.fhg.de)
Date: Wed Jun 12 1996 - 21:27:52 EEST

Hi Ross,

we do tests of plating STL-parts with different metals (chrome, coppper, etc.)
and also different low temperature processes like PVD since about 3 years
and got some quite good results. However, they depend on many parameters
(e.g. resin, post-curing) which require a thorough investigation each. We also
set up a special research project at the University of Stuttgart 2 years ago
to learn more about the 'secrets' of RP parts and plating processes.
If you send your full address I could provide a paper with more details.

Best regards
Wilhelm
------------------

>I have a customer that is asking us to chrome plate or vacuum metalize a
>StereoLithography part that would go on an automotive mockup. Does anyone
>have any experience with doing this with STL and can you give me references
>to what companies have this capability and if they have any experience with
>the STl resins. Also, can this process be done on LOM parts?
>
>Ross Gates
>Select Mfg. Services
>ross@selecteng.com

Dr. Wilhelm Steger

Fraunhofer-Institut fuer Produktionstechnik und Automatisierung (FhG IPA)
Nobelstr. 12
70569 Stuttgart
GERMANY
Tel.: +49-(0)711-970-1837