Re: reverting STL files

From: Steve Chapman (schapman@3dtech.3d.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 1996 - 18:03:36 EEST

RoyJRATC@aol.com wrote:

> My customer now needs to be able to revert the STL back into a ProE file
> without rounding out the flats. If he can't get this back in to ProE is there....

We've often succesfully converted STL's to Pro/E. My 64Mb SGI Indy bogs down
after Pro/E has processed about 5000 or so triangles though. The trick is to
convert the STL triangles to IGES ruled surfaces. Once read into Pro/E the
file USUALLY solidifies without difficulty. (Sometimes the triangles don't
quite match up and you get those yellow edges Pro/E hates.You can either try
to edit these to work, or usually simply "swallowing" them with a protrusion
does the job.)

Remember, this will come in as one base feature and will have no parametric
controlability.