Re: digitizing

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@chaph.usc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 03 1996 - 15:29:44 EEST

Derek_Smith-EDS014@email.mot.com wrote:

> Bert,
>
> I found your post interesting, and would appreciate if you could elaborate
> on one point you made. You said you measure the resulting shape of the cast
> part. I would think you would need many measurement points in order to
> apply selective shrink correction factors in the next step of you process.
> This would imply to me that you are probably not measuring the cast parts
> with hand metrology equipment or a contact CMM. This leaves one with

Derek,

I'm wondering why you believe a contact CMM is insufficient for gathering point data. In my
experience, this is still the most accurate digitizing tool and it allows you to take the
points in a more "strategic" manner, with higher density in more convoluted areas. At the same
time, you can measure features (form and position), a necessity if you're comapring to known
dimensions.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos