RE: Cast Tooling

From: Derek_Smith-EDS014@email.mot.com
Date: Mon Jun 03 1996 - 14:45:35 EEST

Bert,

I found your post interesting, and would appreciate if you could elaborate
on one point you made. You said you measure the resulting shape of the cast
part. I would think you would need many measurement points in order to
apply selective shrink correction factors in the next step of you process.
This would imply to me that you are probably not measuring the cast parts
with hand metrology equipment or a contact CMM. This leaves one with
options such as scanning or Capture Geometry Inside (CGI) to acquire a
sufficient number of data points in a reasonable time without extensive
programming effort. Is this the case, or am I reading too much into your
process? How do you do it?

E. Derek Smith
Motorola Radio Products Group
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida